pg 01 HJ_AUGUST_2016 copyEverything you need to know to go …Back to School

To enroll a new student in Fayette County Public Schools, families should go to the school their neighborhood is assigned to and fill out a registration packet. To determine your child’s school, use the online street directory. Two brand-new elementary schools will open in August 2016 – Coventry Oak (2441 Huntly Place) and Garrett Morgan (150 Passage Mound Way).

The window for sign-ups is July 26 through Aug. 10 (first day of school). Hours are 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. weekdays.

For first-time registration questions, call (859) 381-4130. For questions about how families can help young children transition to school, call (859) 381-4307.

Proof of identity and birth date

A legal copy of the child’s birth certificate or another official document proving the child’s identity and date of birth is required for school registration. These are acceptable alternatives:

• Student’s valid passport or other federal government identification;

Custody decree or court order of dissolution of marriage of the student’s parents, identifying the child by name and date of birth;

• Student’s valid Kentucky driver’s license or permit (if 16 or older);

Prior school records (other than FCPS) identifying student by name and date of birth; or

“At this time, I am unable to provide the school with one of the acceptable forms of proof listed above. I understand that this constitutes written notice that Kentucky state law requires that I provide the certified birth certificate or one of the above-listed items to the school within 30 days of student enrollment. If I fail to do so, I understand that I will be reported to local law enforcement or the Kentucky State Police for investigation.”

You can get a birth-certificate application from the assigned school or from the Fayette County Health Department, 650 Newtown Pike; call (859) 252-2371.

Health requirements

Kindergarten/Early Start Requirements:

1. A current Kentucky Immunization Certificate indicating:

•  Two MMR, at or after age 12 months, second before Kindergarten, between ages 4-6.

• Series of three Hepatitis B vaccines

• Two or three HIB immunizations (according to brand).

• Four doses of DTaP, fourth dose on or after fourth birthday.

• Age appropriate doses of Poliovirus, the final dose on or after 4th birthday.

• Two Varicella (chicken pox) vaccine after the first birthday and the second between ages

4-6 years; or proof of having had the disease.

2. A physical examination done within one year prior to or 30 days after entering school.

3. A Kentucky eye examination done by a licensed ophthalmologist or optometrist by Jan. 1 of the year of enrollment.

4. A Kentucky dental examination done by a licensed dentist or dental hygienist is required for all 5 or 6 year olds enrolled in public school, by Jan. 1 of the year of enrollment.

Sixth-12th grade requirements:

1. A valid Kentucky Immunization Certificate including all of the above immunizations.

2. A tetanus, diphtheria and acellular pertussis (Tdap) booster is required if the student is between 11-12 years of age or older regardless of interval since the last dose of tetanus.

3. A second dose of varicella (chicken pox) vaccine is required for sixth-grade entry.

4. One dose of meningococcal vaccine for sixth grade entry, age 11 or 12 years or older.

5. A physical examination done within one year prior to or 30 days after entering sixth grade.

Out of State Transfer Students:

1. A valid Kentucky Immunization Certificate.

2. A physical examination done within one year prior to or 30 days after entering school.

Tuberculosis Skin Test

1. A tuberculosis skin test or BAMT (blood assay for mycobacterium tuberculosis) is required to be given to the student and read prior to enrollment in school if the student has lived outside the U.S.A. or Canada for more than three months and has not previously been enrolled in a public school in the U.S.A.

2. The tuberculosis skin test must have been performed and read within three months before the date of enrollment. (Exchange students are screened through IAKSS.)

3. If the tuberculosis skin test is reactive, the student must have a chest x-ray and medical examination prior to enrollment.

To meet requirements:

1. Contact your doctor or clinic for an appointment as soon as possible.

2. Take all personal immunization records with you to the appointment.

3. Deliver, mail or fax the required, completed forms to your child’s school.

For more information, contact the Lexington-Fayette County Health Department at 650 Newtown Pike. (859) 252-2371 or go to

Magnet schools, gifted programs

Fayette County Public Schools will host Parent Information Night to share details about its magnet schools, gifted and talented programs, and specialized high school offerings.

The Aug. 30 districtwide event will be hosted by Tates Creek Middle School:

6 to 7 p.m. – elementary and middle school programs

7 to 8 p.m. – high school programs

Individual open houses in the coming weeks will then showcase all these programs fostering higher achievement, fueling creativity and providing myriad educational choices that focus on students’ specific needs, interests and abilities.

The district’s magnet schools include such options as Spanish immersion and individually prescribed education, while the gifted and talented programs provide the highest level of service in creative and performing arts, math, science, general intellectual ability and specific academic aptitude. Several high schools also offer specialized academic programs such as pre-engineering.

Back-to-School Carnival

The Lyric Theatre hosts the 2016 Back To School Carnival on Saturday, Aug. 6, starting at 12:30 p.m. Come to The Lyric to celebrate the start of the 2016-2017 Fayette County Public School Year and enjoy games and activities provided by the Lexington Fire Department, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority and the Kingdom Center.

Moved within Fayette County?

If your family moves within Fayette County, you should complete a new household form to update your address. Turn in the household and student data form at your child’s school. If the move puts you in a different attendance zone, you also need to complete an out-of-area request for your children to finish the school year at their current school. Check the online street directory at ( to see which schools your new neighborhood is assigned to and complete the out-of-area application.

If your family moves during the summer break into a different attendance zone, you should visit the assigned school to register your student under your new address. Be sure to bring two proofs of residence.

This article also appears on page 7-8 of the August 2016 printed edition of the Hamburg Journal.

For more Hamburg area news, subscribe to the Hamburg Journal weekly digital newsletter.