No November 17th, Live Green Lexington will be hosting a free shredding event from 9 am-2 pm at 1631 Old Frankfort Pike, Lexington, KY 40504. Residents can bring up to five boxes or bags of material to be shredded at no cost. No wet material will be accepted.
This event allows Lexington residents to safely dispose of their sensitive materials in an environmentally-friendly way. Shred-it, a division of Stericycle, securely destroys documents on-site with their fleet of mobile shredding trucks. The material collected is recycled into low-grade paper products.
“Lexington loves partnering with Shred-it for this event to provide residents with an opportunity to keep financial and other information secure,” said Tracey Thurman, Director of the Division of Waste Management.
We will also be accepting leftover campaign yard signs. The stakes will be given a second life for use with the Safe Streets yard signs, part of the #SafeStreetsLex initiative. The signs will be donated to local businesses and organizations for art projects.
Participants are invited to bring non-perishable food for donation to God’s Pantry. Currently, the most-needed items include soups, canned fruits, and shelf-stable proteins. Please do not bring items in glass packaging.
- No plastic binders or binder clips should be included with materials.
- Staples, paper envelopes, and paper clips are acceptable.
- Entrance to the event will be accessible via Jimmie Campbell Drive.
- Participants are asked not to arrive before 9 a.m. as event organizers will be unable to accommodate anyone before that time.
- Cardboard boxes will be collected at the event and sent to the Lexington Recycling Center.
For more Lexington, KY, Hamburg area news, subscribe to the Hamburg Journal weekly digital newsletter.