A new assisted senior living facility, Chevy Chase Gardens, is coming to Lexington and will be opening soon.
Help with Grocery Shopping
The Friends of the Lexington Senior Center is helping those most vulnerable stay Healthy at Home. For seniors wanting to place an online click-list order for groceries, but don’t have access to the internet, a volunteer can help you over the phone to complete an online grocery order. For more information, call the senior center at 859-278-6072 from 8 am to noon.
Lifeline Health Care of Fayette brought treats and activity books to Liberty Ridge
Lexington Senior Center Temporarily Closed
The Lexington Senior Center remains closed. You can call a staff member for more information at 859.278.6072.
Park Hours for Seniors
Every week on Thursday mornings, McConnell Springs and Raven Run will have time slots dedicated for seniors who are 60+. McConnell Springs Senior Hour is from 9 am until 10:30 am and Raven Run is from 9 am until 11 am. You must register online or call 859.489.9835; and you must show ID.
Senior Intern Program Canceled
Lexington Social Services canceled the Senior Intern Program for summer 2020, due to the high health risk of COVID-19. This program is designed for residents that are 50 years of age or older who want to learn more about local government. The program will be back for the summer of 2021.
Support Groups by Phone
The Alzheimer’s Association has begun to turn their in-person support groups into phone support groups. These groups are for caregivers of those with dementia. The next Fayette County Caregiver group is on Wednesday, June 3 from 11:30 am until 12:30 pm. To register, please call 1.800.272.3900.
SENIOR SHOPPING HOURS
Senior only shopping at Aldi every Tuesday and Thursday one hour before they open to the public.
- Senior shopping at Big Lots every-day from 9 am until 10 am.
- Costco is dedicating 9 am until 10 am Monday through Friday for seniors to shop.
- Dollar General is dedicating their first operating hour each day to senior shopping.
- Seniors and those at higher risk will have priority shopping at The Fresh Market between 8 am and 9 am Monday through Friday.
- Good Foods Co-Op has special shopping hours available for those 60 and older from 8 am until 9 am.
- Kroger is dedicating their first hour of operation (7 am to 8 am) on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays to seniors over 60 and other higher-risk customers.
- Sam’s Club offers senior only shopping every Tuesday and Thursday from 7 am until 9 am.
- From 8 am until 8:45 am, seniors are allowed to shop at Save-A-Lot before it is opened to the general public.
- Target is dedicating their first hour of operation to senior shopping (8 am until 9 am) on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
- Total Wine offers senior shopping on Mondays and Wednesdays from 8 am until 9 am.
- Trader Joe’s offers senior shopping during the store’s first hour of operation every day from 8 am to 9 am.
- Walgreens senior hour is on Tues-days from 8 am to 9 am.
- Whole Foods offers special shopping hours for customers 60 and older one hour before they open to the public from 7 am to 8 am.
Sayre Christian Village hosted a Mother’s Day car parade. Watch the video above.
SmartAsset for Seniors
More Americans have been working past the traditional retirement age of 65. While it’s too early to tell how the coronavirus pandemic will impact local workforces, the senior labor force participation rate has grown more rapidly in some parts of the country in recent years.
SmartAsset analyzed Census data on the 100 U.S. cities with the largest 65+ populations. They considered two metrics: the one-year (2017-2018) and five-year increase (2014-2018) in senior labor force participation rate.
*Lexington ties for the 14th spot with two other cities*. The city’s senior labor force participation rate increased by 0.6% from 2017 to 2018 and 7.1% from 2014 to 2018.
This article also appears on page 21, 22, and 23 of the June 2020 print edition of Hamburg Journal.
For more Lexington, KY, Hamburg area news, subscribe to the Hamburg Journal digital newsletter.
To advertise in Hamburg Journal, call 859.268.0945