Help with Grocery Shopping
The Friends of the Lexington Senior Center is helping those most vulnerable stay Healthy at Home. For seniors wanting to place an online click-list order for groceries, but don’t have access to the internet, a volunteer can help you over the phone to complete an online grocery order.
For more information, call the senior center at 859-278-6072 from 8 am to noon.
Mother’s Day Parade
Sayre Christian Village is asking families of residents and staff to join them to honor mothers on Friday, May 8 with a Parade of Cars. The parade begins at 580 Greenfield Drive (Friendship Towers Entrance) at 2 pm. Please plan to come earlier to line up.
Request for Senior Community
Anderson Communities, a Lexington developer, applied for a zone change to build a new senior living facility behind Baptist Church at Andover in early April. The building design will be in the shape of the letter “V” with 258 units. As of press, there is no date set for the application to be heard.
Preston Greens Senior Living is offering two modified virtual tour options to view model apartments in Lexington’s newest Personal Care and Memory Care Community, opening Summer 2020.
Families can schedule a Live Virtual Tour using FaceTime, WhatsApp, or other apps to tour the community, meet the team, and have questions answered live.
Recorded Virtual Tours are also available if families cannot be present for a live tour. The Preston Greens team will record a personalized tour and send via email or text for convenient viewing.
To schedule a virtual tour, call 859.274.4070.
Sayre Christian Village Receives Donation
Smashing Tomato generously donated tables and chairs to Sayre Christian Village to help refresh staff break rooms in their Healthcare Center.
Senior Shopping Hours
- Senior only shopping at Aldi every Tuesday and Thursday from 8:30 am until 9:30 am.
- Senior shopping at Big Lots everyday from 9 am until 10 am.
- Costco is dedicating an hour for seniors only every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 8 am until 9 am.
- Dollar General is dedicating their first operating hour (8 am until 9 am) each day to senior shopping.
- Seniors and those at higher risk will have priority shopping at The Fresh Market between 8 am and 9 am Monday through Friday.
- Good Foods Co-Op has special shopping hours available for those 60 and older from 8 am until 9 am.
- Kroger is dedicating their first hour of operation (7 am to 8 am) on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays to seniors over 60 and other higher-risk customers.
- Sam’s Club offers senior only shopping every Tuesday and Thursday from 7 am until 9 am.
- From 8 am until 8:45 am, seniors are allowed to shop at Save-A-Lot before it is opened to the general public.
- Target is dedicating their first hour of operation to senior shopping (8 am until 9 am) on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
- Total Wine offers senior shopping on Mondays and Wednesdays from 8 am until 9 am.
- Trader Joe’s offers senior shop-ping during the store’s first hour of operation every day.
- Walgreens senior hour is on Tues-days from 8 am to 9 am.
- Walmart stores dedicate one hour (6 am until 7 am) of senior shop-ping every Tuesday for customers aged 60 and older. Pharmacies and Vision Centers will also be open during this time.
- Whole Foods offers special shop-ping hours for customers 60 and older one hour before they open to the public.
This article also appears on page 18, 19, 20, and 21 of the May 2020 print edition of Hamburg Journal.
For more Lexington, KY, Hamburg area news, subscribe to the Hamburg Journal digital newsletter.