Mayor Linda Gorton has ordered a plan to get the Lexington recycling program back in order. What is her plan? When will this happen?
“I want to make the changes we need to make and get our recycling program back on track,” Mayor Linda Gorton said. Gorton ordered city staffers to hire professional experts to make recommendations. A consultant, Resource Recycling Systems, will recommend a package of steps Lexington needs to take to over- haul its recycling program, including:
- Development of a short- and long-range strategic plan for recycling in Lexington;
- Investigating private operation of the City’s recycling center;
- Seeking new markets for paper bales;
- Assessing and securing contracts for crushed glass; and
- Evaluating the purchase of advanced glass recycling machinery.
The City is investigating the repair or possible replacement of its aluminum sorting machine. And negotiations are ongoing with two recycled paper mills now under construction. The City hopes to be able to send paper materials to them when they open this fall, but will be aggressively pursuing all possibilities.
For more Lexington, KY, Hamburg area news, subscribe to the Hamburg Journal digital newsletter.
To advertise in Hamburg Journal, call 859.268.0945