Woodford Humane Society’s third annual Summer Gala was held on July 13 at Keeneland. Guests were invited to enjoy hors d’oeuvres, dinner and drinks, with live and silent auctions and raffles to help raise funds for Central Kentucky’s animals in need. (Photos courtesy of Bob Bolson)
Dog Days Aren’t Over Yet
As the summer heat sets in, it is important to keep pets in mind. During this extremely hot summer, it is best to keep your loved one at home or not spend as much time outside as usual.
Below are some helpful tips from Lexington Emergency Management for dogs, cats, and small pets to keep them cool during the dog days of summer.
- ALWAYS have cool water accessible
- Make frozen treats to help cool your pet off after a long walk
- Provide a shaded area that fully covers your dog or cat for best protection
- NEVER leave your pet in the vehicle unattended. The temperature in your car can be 20 degrees hotter than it is outside
- To check the pavement, put the palm of your hand on the pavement and hold it there for 10 seconds. If it’s too hot for your hand, it’s too hot for your dog’s paws
- Walk your pet during cooler times of the day such as early morning or late evening
For more heat safety tips, visit bereadylexington.com.
Aug 4 Yappy Hour, 4 pm, Mirror Twin Brewing
Aug 5 Canine “Good Citizen” Testing, 7 pm, Brighton Animal Clinic
Aug 10 Lexington Pit Crew Meet & Greet, 2 pm, Hollywood Feed (The Summit)
Aug 11 Yappy Hour, 4 pm, Mirror Twin Brewing
Aug 14 Beginner’s Agility Class, 7 pm, Brighton Animal Clinic (4-week class)
Aug 15 Dog Days of Summer, 5:30 pm, Morning Pointe (233 Ruccio Way)
Aug 17 4th Annual Wiener Dog Races, Red Mile
Aug 24 Doodle Breed Meetup, 11 am, Southern Barker
Sep 7 LHS Doggie Paddle, 9 am, Woodland Aquatic Center
Oct 20 Canine Olympics, noon, Falling Springs Park (Versailles)
Events may require tickets or registration. Times, dates, and locations subject to change.
This article also appears on page 22 and 23 of the August 2019 print edition of Hamburg Journal.
For more Lexington, KY, Hamburg area news, subscribe to the Hamburg Journal digital newsletter.
To advertise in Hamburg Journal, call 859.268.0945